Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tiny Furniture

This is the premiere commercial work of Lena Dunham, the wunderkind behind HBO's hit series Girls.  Months before seeing this movie, I read articles lauding it as the voice of its generation (people who are graduating from college now-ish).

The premise: Aura (Dunham) graduates from an unnamed Ohio college and moves home to Manhattan, to live with her artist mother (Lauri Simmons) and sister.  Her "best friend" from childhood, Charlotte (Girls's Jemima Kirke) is also hanging around the neighborhood (Tribeca), living at home.  The movie basically shows Aura's awkward life, as she tries to fit back in with her family, tries to make new friends and stabs at romance, and essentially hopes her art (YouTube videos) will pan out as a career.  She also has plans to get an apartment with a friend from college, Frankie (Merritt Weaver, whom I recognized from Law & Order: Criminal Intent).

I can sympathize with moving back into my parents' house after they expected me to be gone forever; and living in Manhattan with no money; and the weird romance part.  I guess that's enough.  This is a weird generation, growing up feeling entitled and then coming out of college with no prospects.  I don't really know any of them or like thinking about any of it.

I mean the movie was pretty good though?  I don't know.  I was going to have to see it eventually.

Availability: DVD and Streaming
Released: 2010
Reason I watched it: Netflix said so

No comments:

Post a Comment