Sunday, February 17, 2013

Louie

This is the second show to star comedian Louis C.K.; Netflix streams Seasons 1 and 2 (a total of 27 episodes).

The premise is that Louie is a stand-up comedian who is a divorced father of 2 girls, which is also true in real life.  There are essentially 3 components to the show:

  • The stand-up segments: These are generally a little too masturbation-focused for me.  However, I like them because this is the part of the show where you can see him genuinely smile - it's clear that he really likes his job.  And he's very - - I don't know how to say it - - unprepossessing?  Un-self-possessed?  Something about possess.  Or not about possess.  He's just interesting to watch.  Sometimes this veers into cringe-worthy moments, which is hard but generally worth watching.
  • The regular-guy life segments: These often involve Louie trying to date, or somehow stumbling into a potential sexual experience, and are very very often cringe-inducing, but still generally worth watching.  He befriends the mother of one of his daughter's schoolmates (Pamela Adlon, from Californication) and develops an awkward crush on her, which she totally does not reciprocate (and yet I still found myself convinced they would get together).  She's funny.  Except her character's son is named Serge, which every character on the show pronounces "Serj" but she pronounces "Sir".  It's weird.  The most interesting thing about the real-life segments is what a good person he is, which always kind of surprises me for some reason. 
  • The segments with his daughters: These are the best part of this show, as far as I'm concerned.  Lillie is 8-9 and Jane is 4-5 during these seasons, and they're really cute - but Ursula Parker's Jane is, hands down, my favorite character on the show.  First of all, she's totally adorable.  She can't say her "R"s, which adds to the hilarity of everything she says.  Her best work is seen on the family trip to see great-aunt Ellen; the Halloween episode; and Duckling, Part 1.
I really didn't think I'd like this show much, but it definitely grew on me.  

Availability: DVD and Streaming
Released: 2010-
Reason I watched it: Netflix said so


No comments:

Post a Comment