Monday, February 4, 2013

Man of La Mancha

This is a musical version of the Cervantes classic, Don Quixote, starring Peter O'Toole, Sophia Loren, and James Coco as Don Quixote's faithful sidekick, Sancho Panza.

It grew on me.

All in all, though, and maybe it's because I am unfamiliar with the original story -

Or maybe it's because I've seen a ton of musicals and this one only had one catchy song, which was the (in my opinion) unfortunate "To Dream the Impossible Dream" -

Or maybe it's because the scene moved back and forth between the storied castle courtyard and the "actual" dungeon where Cervantes is awaiting being burned at the stake by the Inquisition -

I felt like this movie was a waste of my time.

I hate to say that, but here we are.


Availability: Streaming only
Released: 1972
Date added to my queue: 5/12/2012
Reason added to my queue: I was reading an article about Sophia Loren, and added a bunch of her movies

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book in spanish. Great perfoming of the artists and musical theme. Want to see it again, but it's not in my netflix.

    ReplyDelete