Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rampo Noir

This anthology include four vignettes, based on stories by the Japanese author Edogowa Rampo (which is apparently supposed to be an homage to Edgar Allen Poe, if you pronounce it (kind of offensively) right.  Each stars actor Tadanobu Asano.  And each involves sexual encounters that are awkward to watch.  I mean for me at least.

  • Mars Canal: no audio.  A man wanders naked through what I assume is supposed to be Mars, but it's green, recalling a pretty violent sexual encounter.
  • Mirror hell: I liked this one.  Women keep dying, and the deaths seem connected to these beautiful hand-made mirrors.
  • Caterpillar: A woman has to "take care" of her husband, who returned from war deformed. 
  • Crawling Bugs: This one was also kind of interesting - a man with a skin allergy becomes a little too enamored with the stage actress for whom he is chauffeur.
Overall, this wasn't my favorite.  

Availability: DVD only
Released: 2005
Added to my queue: 2/11/2008 with all the other Asian horror movies
Reason added to my queue: I was adding a bunch of Asian horror movies

No comments:

Post a Comment