Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus

So, okay.

I'm really struggling with this movie.  The premise is that Nicole Kidman plays Diane Arbus, with Modern Family's Ty Burrell as her husband Allan, and Robert Downey, Jr. as their upstairs neighbor, who gradually draws Diane into his world as they fall in love.

So here's my stream of consciousness about this movie...

  • It is so, so good.
  • It bothers me that it isn't really true, despite the fact that the title says "imaginary" - I still want a biopic to be more bio, like maybe Sylvia or something...
  • I would follow RDJ off a cliff without a second thought.
  • Apparently it's pronounced "DEE-anne"
Dude.  I thought I had more on my mind about this movie but I think these points sum it up.  Every actor in this movie is amazing, including and especially Burrell, who is heartbreaking as a husband who knows he's losing his wife and still loves her way more than she deserves (that seems really harsh, and it's clear she loves him too, but the whole thing is just...something else).

I loved it.  If it hadn't been centered on two real people who didn't actually know each other in real life, I'd feel better about it.  I'm not good at abstract statements about real things.  I take a story at face value.  It's a defect of mine.  But if you are someone who can stand back and take the message from a really lovely story, give it a shot.

Availability: DVD
Released: 2006
Added to my queue: 12/20/2007
Reason added to my queue: Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment