Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Honeysuckle Rose

There was a time when I would have thought that a movie featuring Willie Nelson cheating on Dyan Cannon with Amy Irving was a sweet romance.  That time has passed.

The movie is still really good, because you get to see Willie and his friends in a series of concerts doing what they do best - the man didn't write "On the Road Again" for nothing...you can tell he really loves it.

But watching his wife and young son keep the home fires burning while he and the band, including Lily (Irving), the daughter of his best friend (Slim Pickens), who replaces him for a 3-week stint when he retires from the band, is really, really hard.  The band members all know and love Viv (Cannon), and also really like Lily, and it's pretty clear this isn't Buck's (Nelson) first dalliance.  Of course, what happens on the road tends to stay on the road.  In this case, Buck and Lily get really sloppy, and really public, about their affair, which naturally results in what these things tend to result in.

Amy Irving is at her very prettiest in this movie, I will say that.

I wanted to turn it off when I saw where it was headed, but the thought that he might play "Always on My Mind" at some point kept me watching.  Then I realized if he did play it, it would be disgusting, because there was no way it would be appropriate for this movie unless it were played at the very beginning.  Fortunately, he left it out.

Anyway, there are some good aspects of the movie, such as the music, and the actors.  The storyline just breaks my heart for everyone involved, though.

Availability: DVD only (I got it as part of a double feature with Pure Country)
Released: 1980
Added to my queue: 2/16/2010
Reason added to my queue: I think it was because we always listened to the Pure Country soundtrack in college and I wanted to check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment